Research Manager - A career, not a job: Phase 5 is looking for a career-minded individual with strong skills for running qualitative and/or quantitative market research projects and an interest in growing technical and management skills.
In this role, you will spend the bulk of your time managing research projects and helping staff grow skills. There will be two types of projects to manage:
- Qualitative research projects – conducting interviews, focus groups, and other types of research with target audiences. Managing partner companies that help us recruit the right people for the research. Managing client expectations and writing executive-level reports that communicate clear findings and recommendations.
- Quantitative survey research (e.g. conjoint, segmentation, pricing) – managing external suppliers, internal staff, reporting to clients. With this type of project, you will be expected to propose the best approach to a business problem, then see that approach through to completion. The “best” approach will vary depending on client needs and time and budget constraints. To know what is best, you’ll draw from a robust toolbox of research techniques: conjoint, TURF analysis, Van Westendorp, and on and on. You are not expected to know ALL those techniques when you start the job. However, we’re looking for someone who is a quick study and can learn on the job from peers.
On most projects, you will work with one or more analyst or consultant-level staff. Your job is to lead the project, working with the team, but at the same time to help them grow. You will be mentoring and training, helping staff expand beyond their current skillset.
We are a group of enthusiastic self-starters with strong people and communication skills and we look for the same in new hires. You should have or be able to quickly acquire:
- Demonstrated history of clear communication of data that informs business decisions
- An accessible personality - giving clients confidence that they are in good hands
- Quick grasp of the business issues that are driving a project, always bringing the focus back to how the insights we've acquired can help clients make decisions
- Ability to communicate complex analyses and messy situations in clear terms that help clients understand how to move forward
- Analytical skills in one or more statistical analysis platforms / languages (SPSS, R, Python)
The typical candidate will have a degree in business, statistics, psychology, sociology, etc. An advanced degree is not required, but preferred. The typical candidate will also bring 5+ years of relevant experience – use your cover letter to explain how your experience is relevant.
Candidates may also be considered for the role of Consultant or Senior Consultant, dependent upon qualifications.
Keys to Success:
- Can-do attitude
- No fear of complexity
- Energized by collaboration
Phase 5: no ordinary place to work
Phase 5 is a research-focused consulting firm serving blue chip clients in North America and the UK. We work with a wide swathe of companies, from household name internet companies to manufacturers you’ve never heard of.
We help our clients on their journey to customer centricity by bringing together expertise in marketing research, user and customer experience, innovation and design.
What does that mean, exactly? It means we give advice to our clients on how to bring their products and services and experiences closer to what their customers really want. Our clients trust our advice when they are…
- Creating new products or services
- Searching for better ways to take their products or services to market
- Building better experiences for their customers, through web / mobile interfaces or through the broader customer experience
Clients trust Phase 5 because we are laser-focused on the business questions they are trying to answer. This is important, because it means that a Phase 5 Research Manager is a core part of our team. We are looking for people who can...
- Understand the client's overarching business questions
- Relate the particular data they are gathering or analyzing to those business questions
- Tell the "story" of the data - how it helps the client make key decisions.
This is a full-time position based at our offices in Edina, MN. Generally, we like to be in the office so that we can exchange ideas easily. Considering the evolving nature of the modern workplace, however, we are willing to consider a mixed in-office and remote arrangement (roughly 3 days in and 2 days out).
Starting salary range is $85,000 to $100,000 per year depending on qualifications, plus an annual bonus of one month’s pay or more when the company reaches financial targets – which Phase 5 has a strong track record of doing.
There is also a consultant / senior consultant position available for candidates with less business experience and knowledge. Salary range for that position is $62,000 - $88,000 plus bonus potential, depending on qualifications. See job posting here.
Why choose Phase 5?
As an industry leader, Phase 5 offers a competitive compensation program, including benefits, a generous vacation policy and performance-based increases.
Just as importantly, we offer unparalleled access to coaching and development opportunities through our highly experienced staff. You do not work in a vacuum. You have every opportunity to grow in business knowledge and strategic advising capabilities. While we expect curiosity and drive, we do not expect you to know everything. We work with large, complex organizations with complex products. We help you learn on the job and develop business acumen in ways that will improve your own future job prospects.
How to apply
Phase 5 believes in a policy of equal employment opportunity for all people based on merit and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment.
Please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com.
We thank you for your interest in Phase 5, however only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.